We’ve all heard the soused karaoke enthusiast butcher a song lyric or two, or may ourselves be guilty of mistaking Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” as an ode to “Who’s The Boss?” star Tony Danza. Music streaming service Spotify have revealed their all-time top 10 misquoted songs today, with Manfred Mann’s Earth Band’s “Blinded By The Light” topping the list with the lyric “blinded by the light…wrapped up like a douche when you’re rollin’ in the night”.
The Manfred Mann’s Earth Band hit (penned by Bruce Springsteen) topped the charts in 1976. Over time it seems the band’s reference to riding in a Deuce coup has been morphed into some allusion to a feminine hygiene product. Other botched lyrics include The Clash’s “Rock The Casbah” becoming “Rock The Cat Box” and Creedence Clearwater Revival telling listeners that there is a “bathroom on the right” rather than a “bad moon on the rise”. Perhaps most surprising of all is the mass misconception that David Lee Roth is singing “animal!” instead of “Panama”, the Van Halen hit’s title (though exactly what the song has to do with the small central American nation has always baffled me).
Spotify compiled the list by asking music fans which songs they most commonly hear people singing incorrectly. The study also revealed the most annoying situations for lyrical misdemeanor. Topping the list was at a concert (34%), followed by at a karaoke bar (23%). Of those surveyed, 5% claimed that they never get lyrics wrong, while a whopping 47% confessed they have been caught singing incorrect lyrics.
Here’s the list in full…
1. Blinded by the light…wrapped up like a douche when you’re rollin’ in the night / Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night (Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, “Blinded By the Light”) – 52%
2. ’Scuse me, while I kiss this guy / ‘Scuse me, while I kiss the sky (Jimmy Hendrix, “Purple Haze”) – 19%
3. Rock the cat box / Rock the Casbah (The Clash, “Rock The Casbah”) – 14%
4. Hold me closer Tony Danza / Hold me closer tiny dancer (Elton John, “Tiny Dancer”) – 13%
5. There’s a bathroom on the right / There’s a bad moon on the rise (Credence Clearwater Revival, “Bad Moon Rising”) – 12%
6. Take me down to a very nice city / Take me down to paradise city (Guns N’ Roses, “Paradise City”) – 10%
7. Animal! / Panama! (Van Halen, “Panama”) – 9%
8. Like a cheese stick / Like a G6 (Far East Movement, “Like a G6”) – 8%
9. Don’t go Jason waterfalls / Don’t go chasing waterfalls (TLC, Waterfalls) – 7%
10. I blow bubbles when you are not here / My world crumbles when you are not near (Macy Gray,” I Try”) – 4%
To hear the playlist click the link below…
or see if you can figure out exactly what Manfred Mann were on about…