The Roots and their upcoming How I Got Over LP continue to make headlines as of late. First, we learned that Jim James and Joanna Newsom, the latter as both a sample and a featured vocalist, would be appearing on the Philly hip-hop crew's record. And thenHow I Got Over received what's being pushed as a firm release date of June 22 -- I have a hard time believing this -- along with album art. There's also that covers project between The Roots and John Legend scheduled to drop this fall.
Now, the track list for How I Got Over has been released and it boasts big names from the hip-hop underground and indie-rock sphere. And, I hate to continue to be skeptical, but this doesn't look finished to me at all. Only nine tracks? I mean, I can understand it if a few of these cuts are longer, especially the reworked version of Monster of Folks' "Dear God." But I'm thinking this isn't complete and that it's at least missing a few of those interludes featuring Dirty Projectors that Questlove has been tweeting about recently.
How I Got Over's track list:
1. "Walk Alone" f. Truck North, P.O.R.N., Dice Raw, Mercedes Martinez
2. "Dear God 2.0" f. Jim James, Monsters of Folk
3. "Radio Daze" f. Blu, P.O.R.N., Dice Raw, Mercedes Martinez
4. "Now Or Never" f. Phonte, Dice Raw
5. "How I Got Over" f. Dice Raw
6. "The Day" f. Blu, Phonte Coleman, Patty Crash
7. "Right On" f. Joanna Newsom, Sugar Tongue Slim
8. "Doin' It Again" f. John Legend
9. "The Fire" f. John Legend, Rick Friedrich
10. "Web 20/20" f. Truck North, Peedi Crakk
11. "Bonus Cut"
Watch one of the interludes featuring the ladies of Dirty Projectors below.