Following the February 2010 release of Shearwater’s The Golden Archipelago, the band remained relatively quiet until this past April. It was then that Jonathan Meiburg and company released concert album The Island Arc, a sweeping recording of the band performing three of its records back-to-back-to-back.
Since then, it appears that Shearwater have been holding it down in the studio working on their seventh full-length. While details on the album, Animal Joy, are slim, we know that it features guest players including Wye Oak’s Andy Stack. He contributed guitar, keyboard, and saxophone to the record, which apparently doesn’t feature any strings or glockenspiel. Hmm, could this be a new turn for the band? Or are they just cooking up new ways to be grandiose? We’ll see.
Animal Joy is slated to drop Feb. 14, 2012 via Sub Pop. It’s Shearwater’s debut on the seminal indie label and to coincide with its release, the band will embark on a tour with Sharon Van Etten. You can view the tour dates below.
- 02.10.2012 Philadelphia, PA: Johnny Brenda’s
- 02.11.2012 Washington, DC: Black Cat
- 02.12.2012 Carrboro, NC: Cat’s Cradle
- 02.14.2012 Columbus, OH: Wexner Center
- 02.15.2012 Newport, KY: The Southgate House
- 02.16.2012 Chicago, IL: Lincoln Hall
- 02.17.2012 Chicago, IL: Lincoln Hall
- 02.18.2012 Minneapolis, MN: Cedar Cultural Centre
- 02.21.2012 Toronto, ON: Lee’s Palace
- 02.22.2012 Montreal, QC: Il Motore
- 02.23.2012 Boston, MA: Paradise
- 02.24.2012 Brooklyn, NY: Music Hall of Williamsburg
- 02.25.2012 New York, NY: Bowery Ballroom