The upcoming issue of Rolling Stone features a list of the greatest hip-hop songs of all time. After asking a panel* consisting of artists, record producers, industry professionals and music journalists, the publication came up with its list of 50.
Not to surprisingly the top picks are dominated by old school records. We've listed the top 10 below and you can visit Rolling Stone to see the complete list or pick-up the print issue when it hits newstands on Dec. 7.
1. “The Message” – Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
2. “Rapper’s Delight” – Sugarhill Gang
3. “Planet Rock” – Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Force
4. “Sucker M.C.’s” – Run-DMC
5. “Mind Playing Tricks on Me” – Geto Boys
6. “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” – Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
7. “Fight the Power” – Public Enemy
8. “Juicy” – Notorious B.I.G.
9. “Straight Outta Compton” – N.W.A.
10. “Paid in Full” – Erik B. and Rakim
*Complete list of panelists:
Big Boi, Outkast
Mike Diamond, Beastie Boys
Questlove, The Roots
Boots Riley, The Coup
James Bernard, former editor, The Source
Nathan Brackett, Rolling Stone
Cortez Bryant, Bryant Management
Reginald Dennis, former editor, The Source
Jon Dolan, Rolling Stone
Will Hermes, Rolling Stone
Christian Hoard, Rolling Stone
Craig Kallman, Atlantic Records
Alan Light, journalist
Monica Herrera, Rolling Stone
Jonathan Ringen, Rolling Stone
Dante Ross, Warner Bros.
Rob Sheffield, Rolling Stone
Simon Vozick-Levinson, Rolling Stone
|- Jazz Great Dave Brubeck Dies at 91||Chad Valley Prefix Premiere: Watch Chad Valley Perform "Evening Surrender"|