When popular bands offer up their songs for remixes, it’s generally more of a hands-off approach, allowing fans to mess around with their music and see what happens. But Bon Iver is teaming up with Spotify and Indaba for a remix contest: the winners will get a $1,000 prize and have their songs featured on Spotify.
Here’s how it works: starting today, you can grab all stems–vocals, guitar, bass, drums, that massive saxophone thing–from all the songs off Bon Iver’s 2011 self-titled album over at Indaba. The site also offers online remixing tools, so you too can turn “Holocene” into a dub-step monster. Entrants have until August 29 to submit their remixes, and then fans can vote on Bon Iver’s website, Indaba, Facebook, and Spotify for their favorite. Even if you don’t win, it looks like you could still get your remix on Spotify through the sheer power of democracy.
Here are the official rules. Have fun!
1. Visit the Bon Iver, Bon Iver Stems Project remix page at Indaba Music.
2. Create a free Indaba Music membership.
3. Select a song(s) and download the stems.
4. Remixers will have from 08/01 to 08/29 to complete their remixes and upload them for consideration.
5. Voting begins on 08/30 through Bon Iver, Spotify, and Indaba Music’s websites and social networks via Facebook (one vote per account).
6. Winners will be announced the around the third week of September, each earning a spot for their remix on the official Bon Iver, Bon Iver: Stems Project remix album on Spotify and a $1,000 cash prize.