On September 25, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release Re-Machined: A Tribute To Machine Head which features ten covers of Deep Purple tunes in honor of the band's organ player Jon Lord, who passed away last month. As previously reported, the album will feature acts like Metallica, Santana, Steve Vai, and...the Flaming Lips? They seem to be the odd men out here, and that's confirmed by their cover of "Smoke On The Water," which you can check out below.
Ultimate Classic Rock has six cuts from the album streaming over at their site, including takes by those aforementioned artists. The Lips' "Smoke On The Water" is pretty irreverent, using a farty synthesizer to recreate that iconic riff. The comment section lets them have it too, taking them to task for "sounding like a kid in his bedroom with his casio keyboard."
Deep Purple superfans will recognize that Machine Head has just seven tracks, while this tribute includes ten covers. That's because both "Highway Star" and "Smoke On The Water" get two passes (the other "Smoke" by Santana, who will most assurredly not mess around). It also includes Metallica's take on the Deep Purple B-side "Blind Man Cries." Check out the track list below, and listen to six of the covers here. [CoS]
01. Carlos Santana – Smoke On The Water
02. Chickenfoot – Highway Star
03. Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith and Luis Maldonado – Maybe I’m A Leo
04. Black Label Society – ‘Pictures Of Home’
05. Kings of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Arlan Schierbaum) – Never Before
06. The Flaming Lips – Smoke On The Water
07. Jimmy Barnes, Joe Bonamassa – Lazy
08. Iron Maiden – Space Truckin’
09. Metallica – When A Blind Man Cries
10. Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Lachlan Doley – Highway Star
The Flaming Lips: "Smoke On The Water" F. Gibby Haynes Of Butthold Surfers (Recording Session)
|- Spike TV Lands K-1 Live Kickboxing Deal, Begins September||Lauryn Hill Lauryn Hill Now $440,000 More In The Tax Hole|