New York's Waxploitation Records relased 2007's Causes 1 with contributions from Animal Collective, The Cure, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, and others, in order to benefit the humanitarian effort for the conflict in Sudan. Well, the crisis in Darfur has been going on since 2003, and now in 2009, 300,000 people have been killed and 2.7 million have been displaced from their homes. Sounds like it's time for a Causes 2?
Bands contributing to Causes 2 include LCD Soundsystem, My Morning Jacket, Devendra Banhart, Gnarls Barkley, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Diplo, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Mum, and bizarrely, Tim & Eric from Adult Swim.
According to Waxploitation founder Jeff Antebi, "It's easy for fatigue to set in when a crisis goes on for a number of years, but no one has given up hope that things can change for the better in Darfur." True that, Antebi.
100% of the proceeds from the compilation are going to Oxfam America, Doctors Without Borders, and Human Rights Watch, which means that someone involved is operating at a loss to put this thing out there. You can preorder the compilation here, and see complete tracklisting below. Causes 2 is out May 5.
1. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Happy Melted City
2. The Decemberists - After the Bombs (Live Version)
3. Devendra Banhart - White Reggae Troll
4. Diplo - Wassup Wassup (Samim Remix)
5. Federico Aubele - Luna Y Sol
6. Gnarls Barkley - Mystery Man
7. LCD Soundsystem - Starry Eyes Original (Causes Exclusive)
8. My Morning Jacket - Highly Suspicious (Causes Exclusive - VHS or Beta Remix)
9. Matthew Dear - When She Don't Need Me (Causes Exclusive)
10. Mum - Asleep In A Hiding Place
11. Neon Neon - I Lust U featuring Cate Le Bon (DJ Eli Escobar Remix)
12. Richard Swift - Wastin' M'Time
13. RJD2 - Wherever
14. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - It Hurts To Be Be Alone
15. Tim & Eric - Petite Feet (Causes Exclusive - Devlin & Ghostdad Remix featuring Sylvia Gordon)
|- Anderson Cooper: 50 Cent, Republicans Lost||Shockwaves NME Awards - Winners (2009)|