Forbes Magazine released its annual list of the top earners in the U.S. music biz this week. While the top spot is no surprise, some of the names that cracked the top ten were a little unexpected, at least to me. The list is skewed though, insofar as it doesn’t account for sponsorships, merchandise sales or any revenue made outside the U.S.–only tour gross and album sales in the States.
01. The Rolling Stones ($150.6 million)
02. Tim McGraw / Faith Hill ($132 million)
03. Rascal Flatts ($110.5 million)
04. Madonna ($96.8 million)
05. Barbra Streisand (95.8 million)
06. Kenny Chesney ($90.1 million)
07. Celine Dion ($85.2 million)
08. Bon Jovi ($77.5 million)
09. Nickelback ($74.1 million)
10. Dave Matthews Band ($60.4 million)
Dave Matthews earned more than Justin Timberlake in 2006? Something is desperately wrong with that. Of course, with Timberlake apparently getting in the pants of both Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Biel, we know who the real winner is.