Say you're super dead, bereft of life, pushing up the daisies, pining for the fjords. There are probably at least a couple of people who will be saddened by your sudden transition from animate to inanimate object, and before you've been eaten beyond recognition by countless tiny microbes, you might as well have some sort of celebration of your life or whatever. You might even want to play some of your favorite songs as you roll into the grave so that even in death, your friends can remember how great your taste in music was and/or what a pretentious jerk you were.
Of course, if your favorite song happens to be a bitter tirade against your ex-boyfriend, maybe it's best to save it for the afterparty. You know, so your buddies don't think you're trying to make a posthumous jab at your most recent beau or anything.
Despite this seemingly fundamental course of logic, at least a couple people have opted to have Adele's "Someone Like You" played over their dead bodies in church. What an enraged breakup song has to do with being committed to eternal oblivion I can't guess, but the ballad is number 22 on a list of most popular funeral songs, according to recent data collected by Co-operative Funeralcare in the UK.
The top 20 most likely songs to be played at dead British people's funerals are listed below. Most of them are pretty dumb and irrelevant, although not as wildly irrelevant as Adele's post-split vitriol.
1. Frank Sinatra - "My Way"
2. Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli - "Time To Say Goodbye"
3. Bette Midler - "Wind Beneath My Wings"
4. Eva Cassidy - "Over The Rainbow"
5. Robbie Williams - "Angels"
6. Westlife - "You Raise Me Up"
7. Gerry & The Pacemakers - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
8. Vera Lynn - "We'll Meet Again"
9. Celine Dion - "My Heart Will Go On"
10. Nat King Cole - "Unforgettable"
11. Tina Turner - "The Best"
12. Whitney Houston/Dolly Parton - "I Will Always Love You"
13. Monty Python - "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life"
14. Luther Vandross - "Dance With My Father"
15. Louis Armstrong - "Wonderful World"
16. Daniel O'Donnell - "Danny Boy"
17. Eva Cassidy - "Fields Of Gold"
18. Righteous Brothers (etc.) - "Unchained Melody"
19. Westlife - "Flying Without Wings"
20. Eva Cassidy - "Songbird"
|John Lennon - Nothing Says 'Working Class Hero' Like A $60 John Lennon T-Shirt||Jack White, The Black Keys, The Shins Austin City Limits 2012 Highlights: Jack White, The Black Keys, The Shins (Video)|