Random Prefix Sports Chat: The Thread

(487 posts)
by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 11 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago
A few days ago he wondered how Planes worked. The best!
by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago

I kno rite, and last Friday he had a dream about cats and enormous rabbits in a barn. Did he uncover the mysteries of aviation? Did he lay bare the underlying meaning of his mundane dream?

Dude's life is crazy.~

by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago

R.I.P. Manute Bol ("Inventor of the phrase 'My Bad'")

I met him on an Amtrak to Hartford once. He was a nice guy and laughed when I asked if he was you know Manute Bol. haha.

Bol was known for some things other than basketball, too. Most importantly, he used a majority of his earnings from his basketball career to raise money for Sudanese refugees and youth. He is also the only known NBA player who once killed a lion with a spear. He was once fined $25K for missing two exhibition games because he was busy with peace talks with Sudanese rebel leaders in Washington DC. Some also speculate that he may have invented — or at least popularized — the phrase "my bad." In 2005, a UPenn language blog (found via the Washington Post) concluded that:

[a friend] emailed me to say that he heard the phrase was first used by the Sudanese immigrant basketball player Manute Bol, believed to have been a native speaker of Dinka (a very interesting and thoroughly un-Indo-Europeanlike language of the Nilo-Saharan superfamily). Says Arneson, "I first heard the phrase here in the Bay Area when Bol joined the Golden State Warriors in 1988, when several Warriors players started using the phrase." And Ben Zimmer's rummaging in the newspaper files down in the basement of Language Log Plaza produced a couple of early 1989 quotes that confirm this convincingly:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jan. 10, 1989: When he [Manute Bol] throws a bad pass, he'll say, "My bad" instead of "My fault," and now all the other players say the same thing.

USA Today, Jan. 27, 1989: After making a bad pass, instead of saying "my fault," Manute Bol says, "my bad." Now all the other Warriors say it too.

So all of this is compatible with a date of origin for the phrase in the early 1980s

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/21/manute-bols-legacy-d.html

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago

dude was great, look at this length..

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago
^^ r.0
by Dipseth
1689 Posts
Free Prefix
2 years, 5 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago

why are the bullets playing the spurs at MSG in that photo?

Daba's so dumb. Are you Manute Bol? Bwahahaha

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago
dunno, all star game mayb?
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago
yo shuddup dipseths!
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago
by Al
4433 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago
lol ... Dipseths kinda right though. Thats a pretty dumb question.
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago

i know it was retarded. but i didn't ask him "are you Manute Bol?" it was more like, holy crap you're....

and then with a straight face he was like no. then smiled. he also had like a warriors duffle bag that looked like it was 10 years old. ha

by Al
4433 Posts
4 years, 4 months ago
I would liked to have seen manute bol get into a fight... that would look totally weird I think.
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago

he did get in a fight. it was wonky.

i'll try and find it.

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 4 months ago