Paul Williams vs. Sergio Martinez

(1 post)
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 7 months ago
4 years, 11 months ago

I need HBO. Wish I saw this fight.

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Barely beating Sergio Martinez might make the self-professed most-feared man in boxing avoid a rematch.

Paul Williams and his promoter, Dan Goossen, didn’t sound all that interested in granting Martinez a second chance after Williams escaped with a hard-fought majority decision win in their thrilling 12-round middleweight fight Saturday night at the Adrian Phillips Ballroom inside Boardwalk Hall.

Williams (38-1, 27 knockouts) survived a first-round knockdown, a cut over his eye in the fourth round and landed enough punches throughout an action-packed battle to convince two judges that he won the non-title bout. Judge Julie Lederman scored it even (114-114), but Lynne Carter credited Williams with a narrow win (115-113).

The third judge, Pierre Benoist, created controversy at ringside by submitting an eyebrow-raising 119-110 scorecard after a fight between skilled southpaws that was clearly closer.

“I feel like (Martinez) won,” said Lou DiBella, Martinez’s promoter. “That being said, I thought it was a close fight, I knew I was fighting a beast, I could live with a majority decision loss. But I can’t live with 119-110.”

The unofficial CompuBox statistics supported DiBella’s disgust.

CompuBox credited Williams landing 299 of 978 punches overall, including 206 of 631 power punches. Martinez landed 254 of 638 overall punches, and 183 of 446 power shots.

“It was an error, a true error,” Martinez said of Benoist’s scorecard. “We should have a rematch.”

Martinez (44-2-2, 24 KOs) shouldn’t count on an opportunity to avenge his first loss since Mexico’s Antonio...

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1396/it_was_a_bleeping_great_fight/

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended