Artest to join Lakers

(4 posts)
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 3 months ago

Crap.

First Yao might be down for the next season possibly forever.

Now the Rox lose Artest and get Ariza. I'd rather have Artest.

“If they couldn’t get Trevor [Ariza] cheap,” said a source with knowledge of the Lakers’ free-agent plans, “they had Ron in their back pocket.”

Change is good for a defending champion. When the rest of the NBA’s elite – Cleveland, Orlando and Boston are getting better – the champion can’t just stand pat. As an executive and a player chasing repeat titles, Detroit’s Joe Dumars says, “I like to make one significant change in that second year.”

This gives the Lakers something to incorporate, to work through, across a long training camp and regular season. This way, they aren’t tempted to just coast until the playoffs. This changes the dynamic for everyone, and give Artest this: Around him, there’s never complacency.

Bryant never campaigned for Artest over Ariza, his loyalty with the hot-shooting kid who helped him win a championship without Shaquille O’Neal(notes). In the long run, the Lakers were wiser to keep the young Ariza to transition into a post-Kobe stardom. Yet, general manager Mitch Kupchak barely blinked when Ariza’s agent, David Lee, started talking like a tough guy, parading his client on what one rival GM called “a leverage tour.”

The Lakers don’t believe he’ll leave, Lee kept barking. Surprise, surprise: Lee didn’t think the Lakers would tell him to get lost, sign Artest and leave Ariza to take the five-year, $33 million deal in Houston he could’ve had in L.A.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqW7eBJMfhSeZ1yByWFrwAu8vLYF?slug=aw-artestkobe070309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 5 months ago
5 years, 3 months ago
Another reason to hate the lakers.
by Al
4433 Posts
5 years, 3 months ago
Kobe and Artest... oh shit.

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.