Ditch tv for your computer?

(8 posts)
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 4 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

The more I think about it and after reading this article, it wouldn't be a big change if I ditched my tv.

Who Needs a TV? I’m Watching on a Laptop

It’s just that I don’t have a large television in my living room and a monthly payment to make to my cable company. I don’t need one: the major networks and many other broadcasters have made it easy to find their shows free online.

Most Americans still watch shows primarily on their televisions. I’ll concede that point to Mr. Wurtzel. But there is much to suggest that watching shows online is more than just a passing fancy. The Internet has proved to be an excellent promotional vehicle. NBC says 7 out of 10 viewers were spurred to watch some shows on television only after sampling them first online. At ABC, 8 percent of viewers they track — or about one out of every 12 people — watch network shows solely online.

Consider the following. My friend Louise uses a projector hooked up to her laptop to watch “Lost” on a white wall in her living room. My 24-year-old niece never owned a television set until I gave her mine. Now she uses it for DVDs and watches “America’s Next Top Model” online. And it’s not just for the cosmotini set. A 40-something executive I know watched the last presidential debate between John McCain and Barack Obama on his home computer.

The funny thing is, despite not having a television, I actually watch more network programming than I did when I had cable. The difference is that I am more selective. No more flipping channels just to see what’s on, the television equivalent of a one-night stand. Instead I am in a committed relationship.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/technology/personaltech/04basics.html?_r=1&no_interstitial

by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 8 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
My roomie and I are thinking about this. Our cable is absurdly expensive once our "trial period" is up, so we're thinking of cancelling cable and just hooking om of our computers up to the TV when we both want to watch something.
by Mike
1193 Posts
loves prefix
5 years, 3 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
I barely watch my TV as it is... I wish I could play an xbox through my iMac!
by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 3 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

Yup, same here.

I was actually thinking about getting rid of my cable yesterday.

I've done it before and was fine.

by Bob
1407 Posts
Back?
3 years, 3 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
We just got cable in September. It's the first time I've ever had it - usually I just download the shows I want to watch and I really only watch hockey on CBC anyway.
by abomunist
90 Posts
is forging the hammer of laziness
5 years, 8 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

My fiancée and I have a tv, but we didn't even think of moving here with one, and only bought one because my landlord was offering it for $10. We watch everything online. Which is really only The Office. Netflix has seasons 1-3 online, we've got season four on that Amazon Unbox thing, and NBC offers streaming current episodes.

We read more than we watch anything, though.

by gelliott
2 Posts
5 years, 8 months ago

I haven't had a TV for years. I watch Netflix movies on my laptop, and The Office and 30 Rock online. Television programming, with the occasional exception like PBS, is 100% marketing and spin. I would never pay a cable company for that crap.

by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

No telly here, just Netflix and an internet connection.

I do miss BBC America very much, though. 

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended