In response to Yes, Tyler Is Offensive, But Who Says He’s Dangerous?

(4 posts)
by Alverslob
2 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago

I don't have a facebook account and I don't want one so I'm posting this response here becuase there is no other way to respond to articles:

i don't think the point that GLADD was trying to make is that what Tyler says is dangerous; its that such language is offensive and should not be rewarded. Substitute the word "Faggot" & derivatives for any other racial/ethnic/religious slur & see if it deserves rewarding. MTV would never hand out an award to a group/artist that portray Jews (for example) in a negative light, no matter how great their sound is. Gay people, historically, have been targets of violence & discrimination greater than any other group aside from Jews. Just 50 years ago in NYC someone could be arrested (and subsequently fired/have their life ruined) for simply going into a gay bar. Still today Openly gay people are routinely killed in Jamaica & Iran. Gay people have yet to reach equality with other minorities in America & the acceptance & rewarding of Tyler is evidence of that fact. As far as the analogy with TM. TM can be hilarious, but he took his bit on Gay people a little too far (to paraphrase "If my son was gay I'd kill him"). While in the context of the show I'm sure it was hilarious, in the context of the real world TM was critiquing, it still hits a little too close to home for comfort (especially when you consider the proportion of GLBT amongst the homeless youth). Louie C.K., on the other hand, says hilariously offensive things about gay people all the time, but he almost always couches it in language of "whateverfloatsyourboat" which is much different than advocating personal violence against a member of the family. TM was criticized, and later apologized, not because what he said was dangerous to gay people, but because he left the impression that he was personally violently opposed gay people's existence. The fact that he apologized points to our society turning a corner; when we're finally on the other side (a society of whateverfloatsyourboat rather than "I have a right to hate you for existing openly and shamelessly") then we can have an argument about how to appropriately use the word Faggot in popular culture (I'm of the opinion that, at least for the first while or so it'll be the purvey of gay people, much like the N-word & black people). Until then, groups like GLADD are going to take the time to point out what they view as unacceptable (like TM and Tyler) vs. what they don't have a problem with (like Louie C.K).

by h0gy
1736 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
by Alverslob
2 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago

My Point Precisely. Hilarious. Inoffensive. Ergo no Gladd outrage, no public apology, no harm in his standup. Now if he'd been on stage saying, "If my son's gay I'd kill him." Or, if he didn't provide the context (I'm bemoaning the loss of a school-yard taunt because gay people say its offensive to use) and was just dropping Faggigidditty-fag-fag a'la South Park  then GLADD would've gotten involved.

But the point you were trying to make, I assume, is that Faggot is not offensive because it is used to mean something other than a gay person. Faggot=Asshole or some other equivocation. To which I offer the following story in refutation:

In the mountains north of where I grew up there are people who have never before met Jews. In their slang, which they use in conversation until corrected by someone worldlier, they use the word Jew as a verb for attempting to lower someone's price. For example, "I was going to sell my car for $1000 but Bobby Jewed me down to $850." To them, Jew only means the act of haggling to lower the price. Would anyone in popular culture be able to use Jew in this manner and get away with it? “But it doesn’t mean Hebrew” Hmmm…

by Al
4433 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago

Your right though... Facebook accounts are waaay overrated. 

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended