Yo Andross

(11 posts)
by Dipseth
1689 Posts
Free Prefix
2 years, 5 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
Can u school me on whats been going on in your great state?
by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

Why yes (pushes up glasses on nose) I thought you'd never ask:

1. Scott Walker becomes governor in November, mostly because he capitalizes on the northern half of the state's barely hidden fear of black people, and these people are the types that say stuff like I'm not racist, but Obama is the worst president ever. If you have to preface anything with "I'm not racist" you are 100% certifiable racist. Basically, it's the same demographic that implicitly hated Ray Rhoades when he coached the Packers.

2. Walker comes in, and he sets to make big tax breaks towards businesses, because he's convinced the real problem in Wisconsin--which DOES have a budget shortfall in the billions--is that the tax on businesses is too much, not that the manufacturing base here was tied to jobs that got outsourced (like, say Oshkosh B Gosh) got shut down (like GM). Walker makes the assumption that these companies left because of bad tax rates here, when really it probably has as much to do with cheaper workers elsewhere.

(rolls up sleeves)

3. Because he gives this monster tax break to businesses--something like $200 million--he sets about to try to slash the budget elsewhere, and quickly, since he promised on the campaign trail to turn us around immediately. He meets briefly, in January, with public service employee unions--like the teacher unions, the universities, etc.--to try to get them to take pay cuts and they tell him to go fuck himself. If he wants to cut the budget, that's his problem. 

4. After literally about a week of meetings, Walker stops talking to those people. He then writes a bill that slashes health insurance savings for all public workers, threatens layoffs, takes away Medicaid for poor people, and some other questionable shit. But the most important thing, is that he wants to take away all union rights from teachers, public service employees, etc.

5. When news of the bill gets out--and the fact that the state senate sets about trying to vote for it five days after it's announced--the public service unions say, oh shit, we'll take paycuts, we'll take less health insurance. Walker tells them to go fuck themselves. It turns out busting up unions gets the dude tight in the pants (as evidenced by that fake interview that dude from Buffalo did). Then last week Tuesday, people start protesting at the capitol, and clog the fuck out of the capitol and the hallways to the legislature.

6. When it becomes clear that Walker isn't going to bargain with public employees, the 14 democratic senators flee to Illinois to stop a vote, because you need at least 20 representatives to vote a bill into law. There are 19 republicans only, so Scott Walker has a majority, but not a majority that matters. Basically, we're at a standoff right now, because if the democrats come back, they'll vote the bill into the law, pretty much right away. The hope is that this delay will cause some kind of compromise, but Walker isn't budging. Basically, he's in a no-win. If he gets the bill passed, he's fucked in the next election. If he doesn't get the bill passed, he's not moving into the cabinet when a Republican wins the presidency in 2012 (this will probably happen). 

7. Things you should know about the bill that really piss people off: the union stuff. But the thing that's really fucked up is how he wants to force all government employees into private health insurance, and then he also wants to slash medicaid funding, so basically, he's trying to push a quarter of the state off health insurance (myself included, thanks to me taking insurance from my mom's government plan).  

8. Some Madison-centric things: if the bus drivers lose their public union, they might have to stop having mass transportation here, because the system would lose half of its total budget which comes from federal funding. Walker wants to split UW-Madison off from the rest of the system, mostly because he hates it. The chancellor sort of wants this, but it could make tuition and shit go up (which matters to theSchoenrock's lady friend, who goes there right now).  

9. Some other crazy shit: the National Guard is on standby right now, because there is the really real possibility that the prison guard union will go on strike if this bill passes. So someone will have to take over the prisons, and we have a federal prison here with serious murderers.

Do you feel schooled? Any questions? (Rolls sleeves back down) (Drinks cup of coffee)

by Dipseth
1689 Posts
Free Prefix
2 years, 5 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

amazing. I love this guy (andross, not the gov.) no homo, btw.

One question: I've read the Kohl family has big influence in all this? True? And di you see that crazy game-winner over Michigan the other night?

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

I havent heard anything about Kohl, and I seriously doubt it. He stumped for Walker's opponent.

Maybe you're thinking of the Koch's? Those are the two billionaires that have been propping up Tea Party candidates around the country. 

I didn't get into it above, but from what I've heard, Walker is straight in the pocket of those two dudes, so much so that he's proposing allowing all the state-run power companies--like Madison Gas & Electric, here--to be sold, and he's allegedly planning to sell them to the Koch's. It's just fucked up here right now. I've been looking at places in Canada, for gods sake. 

by Dipseth
1689 Posts
Free Prefix
2 years, 5 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

ahh yes, Koch. my bad. I was reading about them here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2286169/

If Schoenrock's gf needs money for school, I've been providing scholarship funds for years now. And by that I mean, handing out ones at my local gentleman's club to girls funding their education.

by Dipseth
1689 Posts
Free Prefix
2 years, 5 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

ahh yes, Koch. my bad. I was reading about them here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2286169/

If Schoenrock's gf needs money for school, I've been providing scholarship funds for years now. And by that I mean, handing out ones at my local gentleman's club to girls funding their education.

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

Hahahahahaha. She's in Pharmacy school, so she's going to make bank eventually (she also works at a state-run science lab). But the Schoenrock might strip for you. Dude is straight broke. And also I hate him. 

But seriously, so jacked up here. 

by Al
4433 Posts
3 years, 7 months ago

that was enlightening andross.

Crazy and sad stuff.

by sintalentos
8 Posts
3 years, 7 months ago

dude, you need to write for slate. that was way easier to understand than anything else they've written on this, so far.

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
Thanks fellas. 
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
well done Andross. much appreciated. and even a mention of the Schoenrock's gf. impressive.

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended