Shutter Mufflers?

(6 posts)
by monaco
64 Posts
5 years, 6 months ago

I was wondering, does anybody ever use some sort of camera shutter muffler when shooting any type of performance that's generally quiet (orchestra, plays, etc)?

Better yet, does anybody know of a really cheap/possibly makeshift way of doing this (that doesn't look absolutely ridiculous, if possible)??

by margaritaland
71 Posts
5 years, 6 months ago

http://www.adorama.com/CZM.html?sid=1234192552262793

by kathrynyu
3 Posts
5 years, 6 months ago

I hate trying to use a makeshift fabric one so I bought a Camera Muzzle last year. It works pretty well. It is one size fits multiple cameras so it is not exactly tailored to my camera, and it can be annoying to try to use a telephoto zoom as the cloth can cover the zoom ring. But it's OK for the price and way cheaper than a blimp.

In my apartment, a Canon 5D with a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens on, from about a foot away, emits a shutter sound that measures 60dB on my dB meter (though I'm not sure how accurate this thing is).

With the Camera Muzzle on, the shutter sound is dampened. It's not entirely gone, but definitely dampened. It measured about 50-52 dB on my meter (fuzzy because my dB doesn't go lower than 50 dB).

A 10 dB difference is generally perceived as being twice or half as loud. Half as loud for $130 is pretty good to my ears, regardless.

I got mine online from Roberts Distributors. It was on backorder, forever, though and when they finally got it in, a rep there called me.

Here's the contact info for the rep I talked to:

Melissa Bussell
Mail Order Rep
Roberts Distributors
1-800-726-5544
317-636-5544

by monaco
64 Posts
5 years, 6 months ago
thanks a bunch guys!  i'm still in the process of trying to sew something ghetto together, but perhaps the muzzle will be a good investment..
by chris
78 Posts
Stabby McStab Stab
5 years, 9 months ago
5 years, 5 months ago
So I managed to use my camera muzzle tonight at a show. I was looking up reviews online for this at a concert setting and didn't see anything other than Kathryn's nice little tidbit.

Here's what I primarily used: a Canon 5d (no grip), Rebel XTi (battery grip), and a 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS. I took out the foam and did not take the lens muzzle which you use for the 70-200/2.8 lenses.

The fit inside the muzzle was loose so I ended up using a washcloth to fill the extra area inside. I'm sure I could have cut the foam to fit inside if needed but I'm lazy and was rushing.

Here are my biggest complaints:

It's a pain to use the viewfinder if you don't have the body tilting down inside muzzle (this may be because I took the foam out). Whenever I tried to recompose a shot it was difficult to find the viewfinder in the dark inside the muzzle. If I had an extended viewfinder that popped out of the muzzle it would have made my life much easier.

It is difficult to change lenses quickly. I'm a prime shooter and I switch lenses constantly. I had to unzip the muzzle and make the opening wider in order for me to switch lenses. Not good for 3 songs. Also, the 100-400's camera tripod was a nuisance when using it with the muzzle. I ended up removing it while shooting. There's a thread in the muzzle itself so you can use a monopod or tripod with it but you will need a "1/4" to 1/2" adjustable stud depth on tripod or mounting plate" according to the one page instruction sheet that came with the muzzle.

Near impossible to use the portrait shutter. It's really annoying if you're used to it. You basically have your hand inside the entire time (I had taken out the camera strap since I thought my hands would just get tangled inside). It makes your hands sweaty.

Despite all this, the sound of my shutter was definitely muffled. You could still hear it but it was a great improvement. If you're ever in a venue that requires your camera to be blimped this is a nice alternative but be aware of its limitations.
by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 7 months ago
5 years, 4 months ago
I just cough at the same time as hitting the button. What, coughing's not acceptable either?

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended