Shooting Concerts -- How many shots do you...

(16 posts)
by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

All right, kiddos. I find this stuff fascinating.

Say you're shooting a two-band concert -- roughly:

1) how many shots do you take?

2) how many do you keep? (IE, do you delete any?)

3) how many of those do you process?

by chris
78 Posts
Stabby McStab Stab
5 years, 9 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

1) 200-600

2) i keep all of them and delete most at a later time

3) 30-40

by NatashaRyan
2 Posts
5 years, 8 months ago

same as chris :)

On the lower end of 300 if there's a 3 song limit, higher end if I do shoot the entire show. I try not to shoot the entire show however, maybe like 5 songs.

by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

Chris, I like your very specific "200 to 600" answer ;)

I'd have to answer the same way, though. Easy-to-work-with lights = 200. Oh-God-how-am-I-going-to-make-this-work lights = 600.

One of these days I'll get really bored and geeky and come up with some formula that involves quality of lighting, number of band members, amount of dancing from lead singing, number of songs allowed, how much sleep the photographer had the night before, etc, and predict the number of shots required to produce a decent gallery for Prefix.

by .....
13 Posts
5 years, 8 months ago
The only time I have ever hit 600 was covering a multi day festival from Noon to 8pm and it would be about 200 - 300 shots a day.  I top out at about 100 - 150 shots a show with an average 2 bands a show. If it's a 3 song limit I shoot even less. 
by Noahm
3 Posts
is Tom McRae
5 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
I usually shoot 350 cause that fills up my 4gb :D
by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

I have to confess I've shot more than 1,000 in one day before, but that was four bands, including portrait shoots for each, soundchecks for each, sets both from the crowd and from the stage, and crowd shots, and it was my first big assignment for that publication and I thought I'd rather overshoot than miss anything.

Of course, when it came to editing and processing I'd given myself so much more work than was necessary and to this day I haven't looked at half the shots. FAIL.

by Gabi Porter
65 Posts
5 years, 8 months ago

I shoot a lot more than I need to, and it makes me mad at myself all too frequently.  Usually it's because I'm in a fast moving and dynamic situation where I'm afraid of not catching the absolute perfect moment perfectly.  Like for example, last week I shot the Punk Rock Pillow Fight (sorry, not for Prefix) and the eye candy was just too much for me...not to mention the action was fast and the lighting was challenging.  I was shooting in bursts of 10 or more.  At the end of the night I had maybe 900-1100 pictures.  Ugh.  And because of the kinds of things I like to shoot, that's a common occurence with me.  If it's just a regular gig, maybe I'll shoot 300.

The funny thing with shooting in bursts, I usually find that the first shot or the last shot is the keeper, rarely anything in the middle.  It's an easy night when I come home with 200 photos.  Wish I had the discipline all the time.

by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
Just got home -- six acts, lots of crowd shots, 450 pictures. Reading this thread right before heading out must've made me shoot less.
by chris
78 Posts
Stabby McStab Stab
5 years, 9 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
and you still don't shoot raw!  
by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
Nope, not until I have a computer that won't take so long to even open a folder.
by Noahm
3 Posts
is Tom McRae
5 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
Oh that's why... I'd shoot 2940294029 pictures if it weren't RAW... but my 4gb fills up pretty quickly so sometimes I have to delete like 20 of them so I can shoot 20 more :D  
If you're shooting in good venue it's fine but shooting at a venue like Mercury Lounge or Music Hall of Williamsburg in RAW is definitely required (so much better to balance the horrible red... lol)
by rachel juarez-carr
148 Posts
www.countessian.com
1 year, 6 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago

But if you shot 2940294029 would you ever have the will to look at them all when you got home?

(Downloading 400 shots now, and that seems bad enough.) 

by BrYan
78 Posts
hey look new status!
4 years, 5 months ago
5 years, 8 months ago
I shoot jpeg+raw to see how they are in thumbnail view. I generally shoot about 200-400 photos for a show, depending on the lineup. I know I can shoot over 300 photos of Gogol Bordello just in 3 songs. But for most shows I delete the junky blurry photos out of the bunch and see how the rest come out later.
by CSK001
2 Posts
5 years, 8 months ago

Hi,

Wow, such a nice stuff to know about.  I love photography a lot.  As and when I get the opportunity to go for tracking and jungle safari, I do lot of photography.  I, think this is one of the best way to enjoy  with friends.

CSK

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended