Best Acts I Saw At CMJ 2011

(7 posts)
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 8 months ago
3 years, 1 month ago
I saw a little over 20 acts at CMJ this year. Missed a bunch I wanted to see but overall saw some great acts. My favorites were Beat Connection, Tearist, Acid Baby Jesus. As for some of the hyped acts, I caught Grimes twice and dug her although some people seemed put off by her not having a backing band or at least a drummer. King Krule I was not into but maybe it was because I saw them at the Fader Fort which doesn't have the best sound or atmosphere. More of a party spot. 
by drewmillard
1 Posts
THE INTERNET
3 years, 4 months ago
3 years, 1 month ago
I saw too many bands to remember at this point, but I inadvertantly caught one of the last (if not THE last) Titus Andronicus performances with Amy Klein on guitar. She was the band's heart and soul when they performed live. Always smiling, always pogoing. And she writes a mean feminist critique of Rolling Stone, too.
by MaryVent
5 Posts
3 years, 1 month ago
I still haven't tallied up how many acts I saw this year but some stand outs were Clutters, Gauntlet Hair, Gem Club, and Prussia and Peelander Z, who were a lot of fun.  As for bands that I've seen before, White Fence, Zambri, We Are Augustines, and A Place To Bury Strangers turned in solid shows.
by STREETLAYERS
1 Posts
3 years, 1 month ago

I didnt go CMJ crazy this year, but I was really into the bands that I made a point to see.  I was 100% into everything the Turbo Fruits were serving up.  They are high energy, fun to watch, and get the crowd going.  I photographed them once for Prefix @ BOMB fest, and while that was a good set, I felt it needed to be indoors in a small spot...so the Cakeshop basement was the perfect venue for them at 530pm.   Purity Ring was also pretty fantastic.  CSS never fails, but I dont think that was a CMJ show. 

Two bands i 100% didnt care for was EMA and MEN.  I rarely say I strongly disliked a live set...but I wouldnt be upset if those two acts didnt exist. 

by Al
4433 Posts
3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah Acid Baby Jesus and Jacuzzi boys had fun sets. Art vs Science had a good jam. Weekend, Bleached, grimes and light asylum were my standouts from the FaderFort.  Beat Connection were good too despite me being exausted by satruday they still managed to get my feet moving. 

I wish I could have caught King Krule in another spot cause I dont think the Fader crowd and sound were helping their set. 

There were a couple of Bands that opened for metronomy that drove me out of the Hall of Will, I dont even know their names but I was not feeling that shit at all. 

by Al
4433 Posts
3 years, 1 month ago
Oh yeah and watching Tearist go bannanas was a lot of fun.  
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 8 months ago
3 years, 1 month ago

Can't believe I didn't see Purity Ring, Weekend or Main Attrakionz. 

Thanks for the info on EMA Streetlayers. Really wanted to see her. Bummer she wasn't very good. 

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended