SXSW 2011 - Open Thread

(19 posts)
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

just a thread about random SXSW stuff from this year's event..

Just hours after the final shows, SXSW organizers are already taking steps to limit freebie events and beer next year.  "There are so many free events out there, that I think it's starting to attract an element of people that are troublemakers," Swensen continued.  "I think you reach of point of how much is too much.  I think we're there." 

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/032011ugly

I gotta agree that free alcohol and shows is gonna bring out ppl getting wasted and acting stoopid, but this has been going on at the festival for years now. 

by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

Let's talk about how we both missed that Lil B show. Total fail, on both of our parts, dude. Although you saw WOLF GANG finally at Mess with Texas, and I got to see Black Milk and Big K.R.I.T. But still. We shoulda been there.

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
Also, I think I can say without question that the worst thing I saw the whole time there was Young the Giant. In case anyone was wondering. Though Skrillex and Designer Drugs were damn close. 
by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
WOLF GANG were the best, obviously. 
by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

White Denim was the worst thing I saw. Maybe they picked it up, but the two songs I heard were terrible.

I enjoyed watching Gobble Gobble and OFWGKTA the most. Dom was pretty good at the Spin thing. Summer Camp was pretty good despite tech difficulties. Mount Kimbie killed it. Loved all of the Prefix day party show but in particular was into Bass Drum of Death, Austra, and Oh Land. Also, have to say Lia Ices was really good. Forgetting a bunch of others.

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

I think I counted that I saw 50 performances in four days. Some were repeats, obviously (I saw Dom, Twin Shadow, Odd Future, Oh Land, James Blake and Smith Westerns twice). I was surprised, when I wrote the list of everything I saw, of how many rappers I saw. It was like 16 of 50, which is a high percentage for a fest known for breaking bands. 

by crickontour
1 Posts
3 years, 7 months ago
Photo wise I really enjoyed the wild and unpredicatable performances of OFWGKTA, Fishbone, Das Racist, Matt & Kim, Capsula....bands that didn't do it for me were Smith Westerns, James Blake, Asobi Seksu, all the terrible hio-hop acts who played the Fader Fort on Saturday.

Musically I really enjoyed the Smith Westerns, Joy Formidable, Foster The People, and Bass Drums of Death.
by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
Dude--Cool Kids were okay, but I loved Killer Mike at Fader Fort. Did you see Lil B? 
by rockographer
4 Posts
Digging Out My Soul
5 years, 11 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

Our day event (Live4ever)  at Antones on St Paddys Day had open bar all day, we did not have any negative incidents , just a ton of fun and rock n roll!

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

just got back from the diner in my neighborhood and the owner said i looked really tired. damn. i had a good night's sleep last night too. guess i'm still looking like a wreck. 

also i think the list of bands i wanted to see but missed is bigger than the list of acts i saw that i intended on seeing. 

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 10 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

My list of missed stuff is short:

Lil B

Childish Gambino

Big Boi

Okkervil River

But I am gload I never had to see Yuck. 

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

here's my list of acts i missed but planned to see. ugh...

Astronautalis, Big KRIT, Bikini, Colleen Green, Cults,  Curren$y, Dirty Beaches, Gayngs, Knux, L’Altra,  La Sera, Lil B, Love Inks, Millionyoung, Pandit, Porcelain Raft, PS I Love You, Rainbow Arabia, Shad, Stepkids, TOG, TV Girl, Wise Blood

acts i saw that i planned on seeing:

Dom, Evan Voytas, Glasser, Gold Panda, James Blake, Lia Ices, Mount Kimbie, OFF!, OFWGKTA, Shabazz Palaces, Summer Camp

by Andrew_Martin
196 Posts
Writin' for my life 'cause I'm scared of a day job.
4 years, 5 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

For the storfer...

Acts I missed: EVERYONE

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago

this is a pretty good wrap-up from VV. Didn't realize that MNDR had to cancel. Wish I knew that before going to Buffalo Billiards for her set only to see some terrible rock band in her place. 

An Idiot's Guide to SXSW 2011: DFA 1979 Chaos, Kanye in a Power Plant, Screeching Weasel Assault, and More

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2011/03/sxsw_2011_idiots_guide.php

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
3 years, 7 months ago
oh for celeb sightings diddy at ironworks. andross is convinced he cut us in line. carson daly outside of ironworks. haha. michael cera talking to some fans on the street. think that's it that i saw.

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended