Random Prefix Film/TV Chat: The Thread

(624 posts)
by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 11 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually in the opposite boat as MFB. To me, the fact that ending was planned all along seemed plausible. The part that pissed me off was that the finale was basically like, "Well, you've watched 120 episodes, but none of the shit you were curious about (and let's face it, that stuff is the only reason you hung on this long)--Jacob, basically all of season five, the polar bears, what the island really "is," babies not being born on the island, Desmond, the numbers, why no black people go to heaven, whether Han or Greedo shot first, the man in black, the others, basically all of season three--doesn't matter, what matters is that all dogs go to heaven." I felt insulted. Like they shit all over the time I spent loving and thinking about the show, and then giving me that garbage as an explanation. I would have been with that finale after season one (that is, if season one didn't have the hatch) but everything else that came was basically written off as unimportant. 

Now here's the question: Knowing now how it ends, is there any way you can make yourself watch through the series again? I mean, the middle of season two was rough-city when I thought shit would get answers, but knowing that I don't, what's the fucking point anymore? 

by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

after Andross' post I don't think I'll watch this show now that it's finally done. The Wire and Mad Men I still am curious about

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 5 months ago

Jacob and the Man in Black mysteries just go back to the mother, if they had given some idea of who/what she is then I would have been way happier, which would have also done a better job than 'the source' of explaining what the island really is...

- The Dharma initiative brought the polar bears and housed them in those cages that Kate and Sawyer banged in

- I think Han shot first

- The others were ppl brought to the island by Jacob through Richard to prove the man in black wrong

- Season 3 was just the others testing the candidates I think

For me the most annoying outstanding question was Walt. They start out giving him some mysterious supernatural abilities, then he was written off for some reason, until later they decided he should be the only vision of a living person to come back and get Locke out of a tight spot...

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 11 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

The Wire is about 1,0000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than Lost.

Okay, Hogy, I get it. There's a shit-load of "what" in that show, but NONE OF THAT IS ANSWERED. There's never any why. Ever. For instance, why was Widmore there at the end? 

As far as Walt goes, he was written out when he had the gall to start aging like a normal human being. And you can't convince viewers that the first 3 seasons are taking place over 100 days if the kid on the island suddenly has Barry White's voice and nut hair. 

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 5 months ago

touche.

Best TV Shows imo:

1. The Wire

2. Breaking Bad (This may seem premature, but it just keeps getting more awesome)

3. The Sopranos (also with a questionable finale)

4. Arrested Development (getting cancelled early just means that it didn't overstay its goodness like a certain office-based mockumentary)

5. Lost

by Al
4433 Posts
4 years, 5 months ago
you guys watch too much tv.
by MFB
110 Posts
NP: Mogwai - Young Team
4 years, 7 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

The Wire is the best. If you haven't seen that, don't watch anything else until you remedy it. Great to shotgun that show. I enjoyed watching Battlestar Galactica, it has certain things in common with Lost but it's more sci-fi and genre-y. The ending was also really unsatisfying but I enjoyed the journey more. Treme has just started but I am already loving the hell out of it. True Blood is fun in a complete guilty pleasure way. Mad Men may turn out to be just as good as The Wire, depends on how it ends up. I'm hoping they only do 2 more seasons maximum. I am enjoying to varying degrees the NBC Thursday night comedies. Parks & Rec and Community have really come into their own, The Office is pretty tired and should be ended but there is an outrageous episode every once in a while that gets me back into it (the one where Michael has to tell a bunch of kids he's not paying for their college scholarships is pretty edgy and amazing), and 30 Rock got a little too bogged down in romance this season but still had some stellar moments. Party Down is fucking hilarious and you can watch every episode on Netflix Instant Watch as soon as they air, no excuses! I've also been watching Archer as the first season is on Netflix. I don't usually like that whole Adult Swim aesthetic but that show is put together much more carefully IMO and has been generating massive LOLs for me.

@Al We're in a golden age of TV. TV is better now than it has ever been.

@andross "why no black people go to heaven" I IRL LOL'd at that. Nice work.

by h0gy
1736 Posts
4 years, 5 months ago

I do watch more TV than I probably should, but I agree with MFB, its increased due to a ubiquity of goodness..

@ MFB, Parks and Rec is awesome. But, unfortunately, it looks like it might go the way of Arrested Development. So far it has hit one hell of a stride without managing to pick up much of a fanbase. I read they're taking it off of Thursday and bringing it in midseason in the future...

by MFB
110 Posts
4 years, 7 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago
@h0gy Parks & Rec is safe. Will Arnett knocked up Amy Pohler again so they have to delay the start of next season.
by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 5 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not caught up with Breaking Bad.

Can't wait for Sunday  night.

HEISENBERG

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

Another 'Three Men and a Baby' sequel? Why???

The Gute really likes to see his name out there--but now a fellow member of the triumvirate, Tom Selleck, has come forward to confirm the story, telling MTV: "It is true that Disney checked my availability. And I know they checked Ted's and Steve's, and then had a script written, I think tentatively called 'Three Men and a Bride,' which kind of says it all [about the story].

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/06/another_three_men_and_a_baby_s.php

by andross
2939 Posts
2 years, 11 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago
Did anyone see the Gutenberg episode of Party Down? Great shit. 
by MFB
110 Posts
4 years, 7 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago
Party Down is awesome. Netflix Instant posting that as it airs, get on it y'all.
by pill
737 Posts
prefixing
2 years, 3 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago

ooh damn no way!   i was mad when i burned through season 1 so quickly.  bomb!

by Daba
18083 Posts
3 years, 6 months ago
4 years, 5 months ago
i haven't even heard of this party down. i have to make more room for tv in my life. :/

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended