2 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago
lol
by Daba
18083 Posts
Ready to get things pooping
3 years, 7 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago
you u guys ever hear of this show it's always sunny in philadelphia? it's awesome. i heard buffy is da doo doo
by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago

It does stink.

by mattycakes
394 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago
by mattycakes
394 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago
That song is about all ya'll that's hatin'.
by mattycakes
394 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago

Jigga got ya'll faded too.
by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 11 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago
I've seen buffy, and it's overrated to the bones. It's quirky to the point of it being annoying. It's the TV equivalent of someone who tries to like boy bands ironically.
by mattycakes
394 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago
The fact that you personally found it annoying isn't an argument for why it isn't good, and that analogy doesn't make any sense.
by andross
2939 Posts
I saw the Watch the Throne tour, and it was like seeing the moon landing.
2 years, 11 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago

I meant more that the people that like that show really are mostly liking it ironically. Sure, you could like it for real, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's better than everything else ever on TV. I've found the writing trite, cutesy, and there were plot holes that were a mile wide in latter seasons. It's a pleasant enough show, I suppose, I just think that there are people that hold it in extremely disproportionately high esteem to what that show actually is.

I mean, I think that even shows like The Shield (which I found mostly pointless for about 5 seasons) blow Buffy out of the water. If you're comparing it to Sex and the City, then yeah, it's phyucking awesome.

And also, isn't if I found it annoying (and cloying) a perfect reason for me to decide it's not "good." I mean, just because you find it "enjoyable" doesn't mean it is "good".

by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago
The show stinks.
by mattycakes
394 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago

Before I get into this, I'd just like to point out that I didn't say "BUFFY IS AWESOME" to start an argument on the thread. Jenna said she was watching it, so I just chimed in with some Buffy encouragement. A lot of times on these threads, people have voiced collective support for shit that I find pretty much awful, and I didn't stick my fat, pretension distended "THAT SUCKS" dick into the conversation because I personally find no point in getting down on some shit that someone else loves.

However, If I was someone who enjoyed getting down on stuff that other people enjoy, I would say that "The Wire" is half-baked sociopolitical commentary that cloistered ass white people universally flock to because it makes them feel like they "get" the circumstances that surround crime and the justice system in big American cities, and they feel like they're wrapped in a big cashmere blanket of authenticity when they watch it.

I would also say that "The Office" has been replicating the same goddamn joke and the same boring themes, ever since the end of season 1 (Michael is a moron with good intentions, Dwight is awkward, Jim and Pam are 'meant 2 be,' everyone is s0 wacky), and that a Jonas brother with a typewriter could follow that outline and churn out Office episodes from now until the end of time.

But I'm not going to say those things, and not because I actually like the Office and have never even seen the Wire, but because I have no desire to puff myself up with superiority by dissing some shit that someone else loves. Quick story: I was on a bus ride reading The Alchemist, which is one of those books that a ton of people love and say "changed their life" after they read it, but I was a few pages away from the end and I knew that I hated it. The girl sitting next to me asked me how I felt about it and confessed that she really really loved it. My first thought was to say, "This is a self-help book thinly disguised as a novel and this overly didactic sub-Kundera shit basically makes me want to throw the book out of the window and spend the rest of the bus ride attempting to suck my own dick," but I didn't because I am not someone who gets my rocks off by shitting on stuff that other people love.

Also, I'm literally offended by the idea that me and the rest of the people who like the show are sitting around going, "omg I'm getting so many irony points by watching this, my personal aesthetic is so kewl." Just because the dialogue wasn't your flavor and you found "plot holes" (a criticism so nebulous I'm just gonna ignore it), it doesn't mean that it's impossible for anyone else to legitimately like the show. I'm not gonna sit here and enumerate all of the reasons why i love Buffy, but I will say this; a lot of people credit Buffy with being the first tv show about sci-fi/fantasy that critics, audiences, and writers took seriously. Seriously in the sense that, it was a show about silly stuff that wasn't silly. Sure the writers are self-aware enough about the material to have fun with it from time to time, but overall they took the series' themes and the questions it posed seriously enough for it to run for seven seasons and generate a loyal unironic fanbase. Like all good sci-fi/fantasy, Buffy uses its subject matter not to fuck around with dumb shit like tribbles, but to deal with issues like obligation, community, adolescence, and personal choice, in ways which cop dramas and sitcoms aren't equipped.

Essentially, I like what I like, fuck the haters.

"Let us have the confidence to surrender to whatever grips our emotions and not look for reasons to prevent us from enjoying it." - Moliere

"Hatin' is heavy! How you gon' believe you can fly, you too damn heavy." - Robert Sylvester Kelly

by B/|nGerKat
3758 Posts
I've seen FOOTAGE
2 years, 6 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago
buffystanky
by brandon
300 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago
To add completely nothing to this discussion: Mattycakes, that was really fun to read.
by OMNIS
722 Posts
Self-Made Wizard
5 years, 5 months ago
5 years, 1 month ago

i heard that buffy show sucks donkey ballz. anyone know anything about it?

also, LEAVE PAULO ALONE MATTYCAKES!!!!1!!11!!!!

by Al
4433 Posts
5 years, 1 month ago

I saw battle royale... I enjoyed it.  Much better than machine girl.

Ive never seen an episode of Buffy. I generally don't consume stuff targeted to teenage girls. Its probably the same reason Ive never seen Twilight.

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.

Find us on Facebook

Latest Comments

Recommended